Everyone loves Halloween. And if you have a dog who won’t give you a hard time about wearing a costume, it can be even better. But with Halloween comes candy. And ensuring your dog doesn’t eat something toxic is of utmost importance. Thankfully there are a few guides online that have been helpful in finding out what is safe and what should be avoided at all costs.


I think we’ve all heard the notion that chocolate is bad for dogs. This is most definitely true. Although you don’t need to rush out to the vet if your dog gets its paws on a mini Hersheys bar.

The dangerous component in chocolate is theobromine. Now us humans easily digest this like most food. But with dogs, it metabolizes much slower. This allows it to build up some toxic levels in their body. The warning sign for this is hyperactivity. Too much can lead to all sorts of medical issues from seizures to heart attacks.

Thankfully, a little chocolate won’t kill them. It’ll likely lead to some diarrhea. This depends on how large the dog is though and the type of chocolate. Dark chocolate for instance is more dangerous.

Sugary Candy

This was something that surprised me a bit. But a little bit of sugary candy is not that dangerous. By a little, doctors mean less than 10 grams. Candies include Skittles, Starburst, and even candy corn. Now this is awfully terrible for the teeth and not a healthy option at all, but if your dog accidentally gets into one, it won’t kill them.


Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as a sugar substitute in low calories drinks and foods. But it’s also incredibly dangerous for dogs. The cause for this is that Xylitol causes an unsafe release of insulin in your dog. You should contact your emergency vet if you think they’ve consumed any.

This sugar substitute is more common than you think. It’s found frequently in sugarless gum, breath mints, and chewable vitamins. It’s also found in low calories ice creams like Skinny Cow. So if you’re someone who lets your dog lick the bowl clean or have a bit of ice cream, make sure it’s the real stuff.


Now this is a controversial one. There have been some cases of acute renal failure in dogs who have consumed grapes or raisins. But there have been many who have never had an issue. Heck, as a kid I remember giving my dog grapes and having no problems. Snopes has a great write-up on this topic. But I like to keep things safe so I’d say keep those raisin candies hidden.

Buy Doggy Candy

This is the golden age of shopping for pet treats. The internet is filled with wonderful choices. So my suggestion for those who want their dogs to feel a part of the Halloween festivities is to buy a fun treat made for dogs. If you live near a city, dog bakeries are popping up all over and feature baked goods and even ice cream that is perfectly safe for your pets. Plus it’s nice to support a local business.

Anyways, Happy Halloween!